THIS LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE
Click on the sermon title above to listen/watch the sermon.
Share and discuss any or all of the following:
- What was something you did in high school?
- What is a burden you could share with the group?
- How did this past week's sermon impact you?
- What points from the notes stand out to you?
- What do you think God would have you do related to this sermon?
- How can someone pray for you?
Sermon notes and scripture references:
How many of you believe that this (holding up Bible) is the revelation of God for the ages, that this is the hope of humanity that all the world’s truth is in this Book? The god of this world has done everything he can to hide this Book and to keep it away from people. How fortunate we are to have this Book. We owe that to two people; we owe that to the Lord God Almighty, Psalm 107:20 says, He sent His Word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions. You also owe it to the people you just saw stand up. Those veterans are the only reason we get to keep this Bible and use it free like we do today. We appreciate them and their sacrifice. I appreciate the Lord sending His Word. This Book saved my family, saved my life. So we are grateful for it. Sometimes we have something so available we forget how valuable it is, we need to always hold this Book close, I love this Book. I love the Man who wrote it and sacrificed His life for us.
How many believe this world needs Jesus? Do you really believe that? I believe they need Him after their bodies expire, what we call when they die. I believe Jesus is the only hope for eternal life. I believe this Book is true. 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me. (John 14:6 WEB) That makes people so angry when you say that. Until He rewrites it I’m going to keep saying it. I believe He’s the only hope of eternal life. His sacrifice is the only hope, all your religion and all your goodness can never carry you one inch outside of that body, only Jesus can. I believe Jesus is the answer for the world today. I have come to the conclusion that politicians can’t fix this mess.
Does He want to get this Word out to people? Sure He does. That is what this Book teaches. How’s He going to do it? The Bible says God is writing a letter to people. (Some versions use epistle)
2 Corinthians 3:2 You are our letter, written in our hearts, known and read by all men, 3 being revealed that you are a letter of Christ, served by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tablets of stone, but in tablets that are hearts of flesh. WEB
Tell me what an epistle is. An epistle is a letter. Tell me what the Bible says you are? You are a letter of Jesus. What does the Bible call you? It calls you, God’s letter to this world. God wants to write this world a letter, you’re it. It’s because the Spirit of God has written something on your heart. God wants to do something in your heart and He wants to say to this world, look right there. I’m writing you a letter and that’s him right there, that’s her right there. This whole chapter goes on to expound how God wants to speak to this world. Amen. And you’re it. You are a letter from Jesus to this world.
Again, therefore, Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world.✡Isaiah 60:1 He who follows me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life.”(John 8:12 WEB)Jesus is the light of this world, the hope of humanity. He is who He is. You are the light of the world. (Matthew 5:14a WEB) Light gives revelation, it lets you see. You are the light of a lost world. Do you understand how big that one short sentence is? The first thing Jesus tells His disciples is He doesn’t bless perfection He blesses attitudes. Have these attitudes: blessed to the humble, blessed to those who are merciful, blessed to those who hunger for something better than what they’ve got. He says have these attitudes so I can bless them.
Matthew 5:14 You are the light of the world. A city located on a hill can’t be hidden. 15 Neither do you light a lamp and put it under a measuring basket, but on a stand; and it shines to all who are in the house.16 Even so, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven. WEB
What do you do with a lamp? You place a lamp somewhere. Re-emphasize verses 15 and16. You are the light of the world; people are supposed to look at you, watch you. They are supposed to glorify God when they watch you.
1) – You are strategically placed. What do the two phrases in that passage “set on a hill” “placed on a lamp stand” mean? How many believe that God’s placed you somewhere? Have you ever asked this question, what am I doing in this family? Right there’s your answer. We have got to start believing this Book. We’ve got to start seeing the bigger picture than just my food, my clothes, and my fun. Dear ones what does this book teach you and me? Everything in my life God has His hand on. I am strategically placed in a family, to do what? Where does light shine? In the darkness. Why do I live where I live? What does the Bible say? How do you know God was not in it placing you there? I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that when I met the girl, who became a great wife to me, part of that was to get me into this county. I am strategically placed in this place. You are too. Why do you work where you work? What does the Bible say? You are strategically placed where you work by God. He has placed you somewhere, strategically placed in a certain place. The connections you make when you meet people, how do you know that connection is not God putting you somewhere?
2) – Light gives light. Read verse 15 again. Light gives light to people. People teach in this land that you need to be sort of private about your faith. Jesus says you are there to give light, there is no closet Christians with Jesus, no secret faith, and you don’t hide it anywhere. We have let this insane culture tell us how to think and live instead of letting this Book tell us how to live. Jesus said, 15 He said to them, “Go into all the world, and preach the Good News to the whole creation.(Mark 16:15 WEB) There is no secret faith in this Bible. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden, should not be hidden.
3) – Intentional shining. We do this on purpose. Read verse 16. Shine your light right in their eyes. You and I need to get up every morning and say I am the light of the world today, I’m going to show this world what Jesus looks like today. I am here for a purpose. I’m fixing to show you how the American self centered, it’s all about me; demonic nonsense has even gotten on the American church. I’ve heard people quote this to me Romans 8:31 using me instead of us, if God be for us. God is not just interested in me He cares as much for the people I work with as He does me. He cares just as much about the people I live near as He does me. We have got to get off this it’s all about me stuff. God so loved the world. If a man had 100 sheep and lost one, would he would say, I’ve got 99 and I’m happy. That is not what he would say. He would leave the 99 and go after the one. What’s on the heart of God right now? My well being is on His heart, He cares about me. My needs are on His heart. But there’s something bigger than my needs on His heart. If that girl that waits on me this afternoon doesn’t find Jesus, she’s going to go to hell forever. That’s what’s on His heart right now. Jesus said, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. (Matt. 4:19bKJV) People who follow Jesus fish for men. Go where the fish are. Fish for men, that’s eternal.
4) – Light is made for darkness. You are the light, you’re made for darkness. Faith fellowship is good, we should come together and sing together, worship our God together, encourage one another, learn together, eat together, and have a big time, but the same faith that causes fellowship is also fatal to the purpose of God in the earth. There is a time to quit fellowshipping with each other. I meet believers who don’t have one friend that is not a believer, what is wrong with this picture right here? Jesus’ life interprets the Bible. Where did Jesus spend His time?
Luke 15:1 Now all the tax collectors and sinners were coming close to him to hear him.2 The Pharisees and the scribes murmured, saying, “This man welcomes sinners, and eats with them.” WEB
Jesus said well people don’t need a doctor. Sick people need a doctor. (See Mark 2:17) He would go after the one that is lost. Light is made for darkness, get in the darkness. Are you a pagan? Can we eat together? Since when did light run from darkness? 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness hasn’t overcome* The word translated “overcome” (κατέλαβεν) can also be translated “comprehended.” It refers to getting a grip on an enemy to defeat him. it.(John 1: 5 WEB) Darkness is no match for light. Darkness has never done anything except run from light. Light doesn’t run from darkness.
5) – Light attracts. You’re the light of the world, attract people. Mere theology doesn’t attract anybody. Theology is not what draws people. I believe in sound theology, I know what the Bible says but it’s not your soteriology, eschatology or even your Christology. We put so much effort in learning, learning, learning; we know enough to save the world right now. I’m all about learning, I’m a teacher, it’s not about learning more, it’s shining.
Your abstinence doesn’t draw anybody either. I’m talking about any kind of abstinence. The fact that you don’t drink, smoke, chew, or burp, doesn’t do anything for anybody. There are some things I wish you wouldn’t do, listen to me, abstinence doesn’t draw people. The Bible said all the sinners were drawn to Jesus; do you think it was because He didn’t smoke? What is it about Christ that draws people? There was a time He was teaching one day and people who were not even believers came to hear Him teach and they sat out there and listened to Him for three days without eating. Jesus was afraid they would faint. When’s the last time you were so gripped by a person that you would spend three days without eating just to be near them? Jesus, He’s the answer to all the world. In John 4, it is the compassion, care, the concern of God through His people that is the light of the world. Nobody cares what you know, until they know that you care. What did Jesus say was the attractive part of faith? 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:35 WEB) The concern and compassion of God is the light of the world for His people. There is nothing wrong with the message in this Book; the problem is with the messenger. It’s with the delivery not the message. This is the greatest message ever in human history. Every heart is wanting to know that you care whether I’m alive or not. People are our business. It is the beauty of Jesus; it is the selflessness of Jesus. It was the love of God that drew me to Him.
John 12:32 And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.” John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 1 Corinthians 9:19 For though I was free from all, I brought myself under bondage to all, that I might gain the more.20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law,* NU adds: though I myself am not under the law that I might gain those who are under the law;21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law.22 To the weak I became as weak, that I might gain the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I may by all means save some.WEB
I made myself a servant to all….that I might win more ….win the weak ….win some. WIN
The fact that you are not perfect is not the issue; the fact that they need help is the issue. The issue is not about who throws the rope, the issue is about the rope. It’s not about the messenger it’s about the message. It’s about the news; it’s about the kindness of God that change people’s lives. Don’t wait till you get prefect, it isn’t going to happen. Our perfection comes on the day we see Jesus face to face. It’s too late then. You are the light of the world. You can do it.
1) Do you believe that the Bible is true? 2) Do you believe that Jesus is the only hope for humanity as this Bible teaches? Read John 14:6 I want to help people. One God and one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus. Jesus, the only hope of the world. 3) Are you glad you found Jesus? Actually, He found you. 4) Do you really believe people need Jesus or do we just say it? 5) Are you the light? It is about me living for something bigger than me, something eternal.
You are the LIGHT of the world. Live for something BIGGER than yourself. Jesus loves you he cares about you. I pray for this church to be a light in this community.