Love Me, Love My Children
If you need to listen to/watch the sermon, click the title above.
Share and discuss any or all of the following:
- What is something fun you have done?
- What are some joys that you are willing to share?
- What are some burdens that you would be willing to share?
- How is God working in your life?
- Why does loving Jesus mean loving His family too?
- What did God call wicked or evil in James 2:2-4?
- Why did Brother Brian say you can’t love Jesus and not get involved with people and that might cost you something? Why is that true?
- Why is abiding in Christ a key to loving people?
- What are some of the one another’s of Scripture that stand out to you?
Sermon Notes and Scripture references:
Love me, love my family
Jesus said to Simon, Do you love me?
Foundation – do you love Jesus?
Response – feed my lambs
2nd time – tend my sheep
3rd time – feed my sheep
Tend = take care of
1 – Jesus has a family – in 2 places
Eph 3:14 – whole family in heaven and earth
1 John 3:7 – Let no one deceive you – he who practices righteousness is righteous
Either a child of God or not – not everyone is in it – by choice
2- To come into relationship with Jesus is to come into relationship with His family – you can’t do Jesus and not do His family – impossible
You can’t have Jesus without having his family – no divide between loving Him and loving his sheep
American church is not a model of church – more like a social group
3- 2 ways we are tied to His family
- Globally/Internationally – same Father – Our Father
- Locally – named by city – 1 Corin. 12:12 – the body is one – one spirit – vs 13 – vs 18 – God sets the members in the body, just as He desires. God loves the church – we should be as tied to our church as we are in marriage
4- God’s family is a dysfunctional family – God loves handicapped children – adopted by choice
- All of His kids are adopted – Gal 4: 4 – God sent his Son to enable us to be adopted - Abba Father – God is my daddy – bears witness with our spirit – causes us to run to Him
When you make a mistake, do you run to Him or away from Him? Matt 18: - How many times are we forgiven? 70 x 7
1 Corin. 1: 26- not wise, not perfect, - God has chosen the weak, foolish, insignificant
Love me, love my imperfect children
Bible helps us see things differently – see me through His eyes
5- I have decided to love Jesus –“ one anothers” – ways to tend his sheep
- 1 Cor. 12: no division in the body – care for one another – get involved
- 1 Tim 5:1 – how to treat each other – older men, younger men, etc.
- Heb 13: - go to church to care for one another, encourage one another
- Gal 5:13 – use your freedom to serve one another
- Eph 4:32 – forgive one another, be kind to one another
- Gal 6:2 - bear one another’s burdens – You can’t love Jesus and not get involved with people – might cost you something – that’s loving Jesus
- James 5:9 – don’t grumble against one another – Amazing Grace
- James 5:16 – pray for one another
- Gal 6:1 - Restore one another – don’t shoot the wounded
Humble yourself to enter His kingdom – quit trying to impress people
Learn to endure the manure
Do you love Jesus?
Can you imagine a place where people are loved in spite of everything, like Jesus loves?
Will we tend His sheep?
A father’s heart doesn’t care about people’s abilities…just them.
You love handicapped children – help us have your heart toward your children.